Working on A Running Car and Other Educational Aphorisms

It is often said that a part of an educator's compensation is in their time off. I laugh at this because every teacher I know spends a vast part of their nights, weekends, and vacations grading and planning for their classrooms. The work is never done and so often it seems like it is on autopilot where there is not too much time to reflect because as Patrick says, you have to be ready for Monday's 8:30. Even with our prep periods, there is just so much to do, whether it is preparing/setting up a lab, quickly running to the store for supplies, or having IEP meetings, we are busy, busy, busy.

Ever since I saw this manifesto for the Cult of Done, I speak of it in almost every conversation because it speaks so deeply to my and many of our way of seeing the world.

Our school is taking its Spring Break and I love having the opportunity to spend more time with my family, but I also can stop and think about my pedagogy. It also affords me the time to learn a new skill(s). Those who work with me, have likely heard me say that it is difficult for us to deeply refine what we are doing because it would be like "working on a running car". It is so intense, the pace at which we work that it overwhelms us to think of adding or changing something.

I have no shortage of things to do, I also have no lack of things I want to do. There are a ton of projects that I would like to start doing that I hope to begin during this time. Throughout the year, I am reading other's blogs, journal papers, and other resources but it is only during these breaks that I can truly sit back and think of the ramifications and possibilities.

I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of weeks. So far though I have learned to make an Android App (it's easier than I thought), upgraded my Python skills to 3.0, and decreased my reading list but then subsequently increased it. It's going to be a busy time but I wouldn't have it any other way. Believe me if I am not a prisoner, I love every minute of it and I cannot way to share all that I have learned.

Subscribe to BrokenAirplane and keep up with all of the latest education and technology resources!